I ventured to the upper west side on saturday to check out a possible apartment situation... The area was actually really nice, although I wont be taking the apartment due to lack of space and some other issues... However, since i was there i explored the streets as they were lined with lots of fantastic shops and restaurants before deciding upon a local bustling diner to cure my grumbling stomach and to think about my next move for the day... I perched myself up on a stool between two older gentlemen at the crowed counter, lined with pastries and other goodies, and sipped on some well needed coffee as I looked over the menu, which for some reason seemed too complex to read at the moment... i settled on a simple bowl of soup and grilled cheese sandwich... My stepmom called while i was eating and we had a fabulous conversation, laughing and catching up while I finshed my meal and paid the bill before headin out into the brisk, sunny afternoon. I was about 2 blocks away from Central Park so I decided I couldnt resist the temptation to to just walk (thank God i wore sneakers!!)... When i got to the park i reached for my camera and was disappointed to relize the battery must of fallen out in my other bag!! (So i apologize for lack of photos on this one)... I continued along the winding park paths taking in the day and admiring the landscape of birchtrees, ponds, playgrounds, wildlife, and ordinary people that made the park so alive (joggers, walkers, families, friends just taking a stroll, and of course lots of playful puppies on leashes!!) The park was designed by Fredrick Law Olmstead, the same architect who designed Delaware Park back home in Buffalo, so it was facinating to simply take in the and admire the similaries between the two parks, from the bridges right down to the scattered lamposts that lined the endless pathways! I stopped along a bridge that was overlooking a half-frozen pond with various buildings peeking over the trees in the distance... I decided to do a quick sketch in my notebook for a few moments until the cold air started seeping into my core and I knew i had to start making my way toward warmth and home... When I left the park it came to my attention i had literally walked a lil over 30 blocks (man how easy that was - not feeling so guilty anymore about my inability to work out as much as i like thats for sure)... I continued walking up Central Park West and getting my head lost once again in the beautiful achitecture which surrounded me! I nodded and smiled at a peering well-dressed doorman, wondering if I'd ever be able to live in such a luxery area myself oneday and pondering what each place must look like inside along with the types of people that occupied their residences... Everyone I passed along the way seemed so high on life and cheerful, families walking together, couples snuggled under one anothers arms trying to keep warm as they strolled away a saturday afternoon, and old friends just bumping into eachother along the way embracing in hugs and smiles as they casually caught up... I spotted a Barnes and Noble a lil ways up the road and stopped in for a few moment to warm up and grab a quick cup of java before finally finding my subway for home! I must admit even the subway is still an endless cultural adventure too as you never know when you might pass by a gentlemen playing the soft musical sounds of a flute... or more grufly a man hammering the beats away on upside down utility buckets!! never a dull moment indeed!! :)
Sunday was just as amazing as a good friend of mine called to say he had tickets for us to explore the Natural History Museum! I felt like i was journey in another movie as we laughed and chatted away the afternoon both excited to be exploring a new place and getting lost in all it had to offer! We then found an amazing restaurant where we toasted our fabulous day, while enjoying getting to know one another over piles of food and delicious dessert in a restaurant filled with warmth and the relaxation of a perfect ending to a another spectacular day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi city gal, seem that there is so much to do in the big apple. I hope to come and visit you soon. I wish I had the gift to write as eloquently as you do. I can just picture every detail of the things you are seeing! Love you lots, aunttree
Thanks Auntie Tree!! There really is! I cant wait til you visit and we can explore some of these fabulous shop... especially all the Jewlery... your favorite!! (hehehe).... I havent been to Tiffany's yet (not that i can afford to buy anything there).. but i will wait for you just the same!!
You can write if you put your mind to it... I never knew i had it in me honestly... Guess I just see it in my mind so clear, like a painting or drawing.... Love U Lots!
Post a Comment